Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sad books bum me out, dude

So, the last week or two was filled with reading some sad and disturbing tales. I have to say that I usually try to space out the heavy reading but it wasn't really up to me since one of the books is for an upcoming book club. Anyhoodle...

I finally read M.T. Anderson's Feed. Feed is a story about our possible future. And if Anderson is even close to correct, that was over 200 pages of birth control. Getting back on track here, Feed is the story of Titus and Violet. See in the future trips to the moon are normal. Oh and I think I forgot to mention that no one has computers anymore or rather the computers are implanted inside of you, in your head. Thus, feed. And you can't stop the feed. You text; watch t.v.; learn in school; shop; everything on the feed. But the feed isn't so great because all of the sudden people are developing these lesions. And suddenly Violet isn't feeling so well.

This book was a great cross over between Brave New World and your typical coming of age story. I know I was disturbed greatly by the fact that the feed is a constant thing that you can never turn off and it ties itself to you bodily functions. Scary shit that you can totally see happening as an extension of our lives today.

The other sad book I read was actually a book I had been avoiding. People who know me always tend to send me any book that deal with Persians in any way, shape, or form. Generally, I don't mind that one bit but this book just seemed like a downer. And it is. But maybe I should tell you the title and the author. I just finished The House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III.

The story revolves around a contested house. On one side you have the first owner, Kathy, who is wrongly evicted because the state made a clerical error. On the other side is the Behrani family who buys the house at an auction. One mistake after another leaves these two sides fighting in an ever escalating war over the house.

This is one of those books where you kind of hate and feel sorry for the two main characters. I was actually mostly on Kathy's side until the last 100 or so pages of the book (I can't say more without ruining the story) but in the end I sided with the Persian family.

I read this book for a new book club I was asked, by my neighbor, to join. The premise of the book club is to only read books that are then made into movies. So, we talk for a bit about the book and then watch the movie. I don't know when I am going to get a turn but if I do I already know the book I am going to pick.


Books Read in 2008:


The House of Sand and Fog
by Andre Dubus III
Feed by M.T. Anderson
Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon
The Attack by Yasmina Khadra
North and South
by Elizabeth Gaskell
She Went All the Way by Meg Cabot
Dramarama by E. Lockhart
Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
Princess Mia by Meg Cabot
Pants on Fire by Meg Cabot
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
Fly on the Wall by E. Lockhart
Stowaway by Karen Hesse
The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart.
Spike: Asylum by Brian Lynch and Franco Urru

4 comments:

Beth said...

So I take it you haven't seen The House of Sand and Fog yet? I'll admit it was one I resisted watching because it seemed so devastating, and indeed it is.

When I wrote about i, in fact, I said that it was a 'sad, sad movie. Saaaaaad.'

Jalehlabad said...

No but I will see the movie on Sunday. I am not sure I am looking forward to it.

Unknown said...

I haven't read Feed yet, but I thought the M.T. Anderson book I read last year, Octavian Nothing, was one of the best books I'd read in a long time. He's a great writer, though very dark indeed! A little more lighthearted is his (also wonderful) picture book about Erik Satie, "Strange Mister Satie." I love the way he writes about nonconformity!

Jalehlabad said...

I will have to check out those books, Karin. Thanks for recommending them. I am really excited for summer to come and my reading to get amped up since I won't be burdened by my daily Arabic grind.