Monday, January 19, 2009

Hey, it's book time again!

I read a couple of books these past few weeks. I am sure that totally shocks you. I will say this, I am going to try to read a few more non-fiction works this year. I want to get back to reading about the Middle East again and I wan to start reading some books about the founders of America. So, if you've read any good biographies lately, comment away.


White Oleander by Janet Finch
: This was the January book club pick. I have to say that this book made me totally appreciate my mother. The story was haunting and touching and ended in not the greatest way for me but it was completely unsatisfying. I am saddened by the fact that I won't get to attend book club (I will be in B'ton that weekend, WOOT!) because I think it would ne interesting to hear what the other ladies have to say. I am renting the movie this week to see how that turned out.

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen: The first written but last read by me book in the Austen oeuvre. I really enjoyed the book and thought it was really one of the best of Austen's works. I think that the character of Elinor is quite lovely and amazing. She's one of Austen's most realistic characters and I was quite charmed by her on the page. Also, I've now read all of Jane Austen's works so yeah. I've totally earned my librarian credentials.

Of course, all of this makes me want to compare the movie versions I've seen. I know that most folks love the Emma Thompson version of this story but really, Emma was WAY TOO OLD to be playing a nineteen year old girl. It's kind of ridiculous if you think about it. I highly recommend watching the newest PBS version that was released last year. I thought the actress playing Elinor was perfect.

Books read in 2009:

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
White Oleander by Janet Finch

No comments: