Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Even more books that I recently read

I am sure you are all wondering why I am posting so much in one day after I practically abandoned my blog. Well, the answer is this: Arabic is over until August. WOOHOO! I am very excited to be done even though I will need to stay fresh by listening to BBC Arabic news and quizzing myself on vocab. Now, onto the books...

Like Beth, I finally read River Secrets by Shannon Hale. I thought it was a fitting end to the Goose Girl series. I also liked that Razzo got his own story. A definite recommendation for my niece Kaitlyn.








I also finished the Gemma Doyle trilogy. The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray is the last installment for Gemma, Ann, and Fee. I must say that I really was annoyed with Gemma for a good portion of the book. I kept thinking will she never learn and when will she tell Fee to shove it. Ahh! But ultimately I was happy with the ending. I am glad there was no epilogue telling me how it all ends up for Gemma. I rather like the ending I made up for her in my head. Also, Kartik only gets hotter in this book, for those of you who care about that sort of thing.

Finally, I read Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan (who is writing a book with John Green!! SQUEE!!). So, what do you do when you are a girl who is in love with her gay boy bestie and then your boyfriend ends up kissing said gay boy? Well, your life implodes is what. This story is told in the first person from a variety of point of views. Naomi and Ely and their cadre of friends all narrate how life goes crazy when life-long friends hit a bump.


Books Read in 2008:

Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray
River Secrets by Shannon Hale
The House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III
Feed by M.T. Anderson
Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade by Diana Gabaldon
The Attack by Yasmina Khadra
North and South
by Elizabeth Gaskell
She Went All the Way by Meg Cabot
Dramarama by E. Lockhart
Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
Princess Mia by Meg Cabot
Pants on Fire by Meg Cabot
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
Fly on the Wall by E. Lockhart
Stowaway by Karen Hesse
The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart.
Spike: Asylum by Brian Lynch and Franco Urru

7 comments:

Beth said...

Good news--River Secrets is actually not the last book in the Bayern series! Shannon Hale is working on another one right now. Yay!

Jalehlabad said...

Oh that is good news. I really liked all of those books.

Unknown said...

Hey J, want to come up to Chicago and see Crowded House with me? Sunday the 11th is the show.

Jalehlabad said...

This coming weekend? That's Mother's Day. So that is a no can do.

Beth said...

Hey--another funny--we have both read 18 books so far this year! Now of couse I'm working on 3 more and I'm sure you've got some in the works and we'll probably never be at the same number at the same time again, but...at the moment, within a day or two of posting, we are! Heee.

Jalehlabad said...

So true especially since I finished another book and I need to post about it. Heh.

Unknown said...

"what do you do when you are a girl who is in love with her gay boy bestie and then your boyfriend ends up kissing said gay boy?"

you cut a bitch, that's what.