Friday, November 10, 2006

Ring my bell

This seems like a silly thing to post about but today I got two phone calls at work. Crazy! Some of you may be thinking to yourself "big frakin' deal," but since I have started my new job I have never received to phone calls in a day. It's been exciting here. Ha!

Seriously though, a lot of people ask me how I am liking the new gig. Apparently, I have not been responding with the vigor some feel I should have since I landed my "dream job." I guess you could say I am adjusting. This place is so vastly different from my last place of employment that it is difficult to make comparisons. I mean, I basically have funds to do whatever I want and that is strange and scary. My boss cares about me and wants to me succeed. These are not things I am accustom to. Also, cataloging is hard, y'all. I am not sure I am picky enough to become as good as I need to be but I am trying.

I can tell you all this much; I miss students. On a normal day I don't see any college kids or help them in person at all. I've had a few email reference questions and that's great. But, I really miss students. The whole point of working on a college campus for me is the interaction with the students. My department is divided by people who like students and people who just want to catalog books but why does it have to be an either/or issue? Can't you like students and catalog books? Tuesday is my day at the main library and I get to see students there but I don't get to help them. I am looking for ways to get back into teaching a library skills course or something of that nature just to hang with the kiddies. If I learned one thing at my old gig it was how much fun (and yes, frustrating) college students can be.

Anyway, I don't know how much I will be posting between now and Thanksgiving. I am going to a conference next week and won't be back to work until after the holiday. But, if you have any restaurant recommendations for Boston, please comment away.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you going to see Ryan? Have fun in Boston!!! Go eat in the Little Italy area. It's called the North End: http://www.northendboston.com/

Were you not awake in cataloging class when we all realized that catalogers usually stay behind the scenes b/c they don't actually like interacting with people??? :) Heee. Just kidding (kind of). Hope you can find a way to work with the kiddies! The immediate feedback they (and all patrons) give is indeed rewarding. Except when they're assholes.

Also...GO (insert name of our WSOPC team here)!!!! We need a good name soon so we can submit our entry... I got nothing. No ideas. :(

Unknown said...

Boston is a great town -- have fun!

My brother and I were talking about teaching and academics, and I really agree that the library biz is all about The People and not The Stuff. It's frustrating to meet people (maybe like those catalogers) who seem to get into it for materials, and who maintain an aloofness from the folks who want to use the materials. Weird.

Have a nice T-day.

Jalehlabad said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jalehlabad said...

Well, B, my job isn't supposed to be strictly cataloging. That is only half of my job. I am also the subject librarian so I am supposed to teach library classes for the department, buy their books, etc.

Also, what do you think about Team Cutters?

Anonymous said...

Like Cutter numbers? It might be a bit obscure...it even took me a minute to figure it out. :) Most of that stuff has already left my brain from lack of use!

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain Jaleh- I pretty much had my "dream job" at the Museum, but the 10% of reference couldn't make up for the 90% of cataloging that killed my soul!
It's just cause we heart people-- especially weird ones and students!