Monday, November 13, 2006

Seeing is believing

Having good eyesight is something I have always struggled with (thanks Mom and BioDad). I started wearing glasses in the second grade. I wore glasses or contacts up to the point where I made the not too smart decision to get Radial Keratotomy. That fact that I was trusting some dude to slice open my eye was minor in comparison to my 20 year old mind saying "no glasses FOREVER."

Well, my doctor was not the best of docs. He messed up my eyes and then didn't tell me. I went about my merry way for a few years until one semester of graduate school reading took a toll on my eyes. When I went to a new doctor to get some reading glasses I was informed of the very serious nature of my eye sight, or lack thereof. I was told I would never be able to wear glases again since my eyes were so drastically different. I wasn't so bummed about that since I had gotten used to a face without spectacles. What I forgot to account for that the toll that wearing contacts everyday takes on your eyes. It's hard, y'all, to put in contacts every morning.

But alas, I went for my annual eye checkup this weekend. My new, rather nice eye doctor and I had a long talk about my eyes. She said that both my eyes were so horrible that I can wear glasses again! Yay! And also boo at the same time. So, by next week I should have a pair of glasses again. I can only wear them one or two days a week because of my eye condition (i.e. frakked). But, it will be nice to give my eyes a lil' break from the contacts. I didn't get any "cute librarian" frames. I just got some nice wire rimmed specs. Honestly, the glasses reminded me of Trotsky and that is kind of why I bought them. Trotsky was the cutest of the Bolshevik Revolutionaries, just ask Frida Kahlo.

Also, I cut my hair this weekend. It's goodbye to ponytails and hello to bob city. You may not even recognize me the next time we meet.

Current Listen: Girl from Mars ~ Ash, Gilmore Girls Soundtrack

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eeek!!! You just explained why I am deathly afraid of lasik or any sort of surgery where lasers or knives or anything scary will be touching my eye. I have heard so many scary stories! Plus, I figure my eyes will just get worse again after, so what's the point??? Ugh. Scary.

It's true that contacts can get tiring, but I have found that wearing my glasses all day, after being used to contacts, actually leaves my eyes more tired. My own hypothesis is that it has something to do with the eyes having to work harder b/c the glasses lenses are further away from your eyes, and so looking at a computer screen all day makes them doubly tired. And I do have cute librarian frames that I would love to wear all the time! You will have to let me know how it goes for ya.