Tuesday, November 28, 2006

I think I have a crush on Ben Gibbard

Last night I went to The Pageant to see Ok Go and Death Cab for Cutie with my pals Deanna and Mat.

Ok Go put on a great show in spite of the vocal ailments of the lead singer. He apparently only starting speaking again a few hours before the show began. I don't really know Ok Go's music. I only know the one song with the treadmill video. But their music was pretty good so I bought one of their cds. I've been listening to it this morning and it's, not surprisingly, good. They finished their set with a lovely dance performance. I was seriously impressed by the choreography.

The real story of the night was the Death Cab performance. First, I should say that Deanna and Mat aren't huge Death Cab fans. They each know a few songs here and there and I would say they know more Postal Service than Death Cab. I was kind of wishing that Bill was in the crowd with me since he is the one who turned me on to Death Cab. Although, I think Bill was with me in spirit as a bright yellow Focus was parked next to my car in the parking lot. I took that as a sign.

I was a little unsure what to expect out of the band's performance. I was thinking it would be a somewhat low key performance. Boy was I wrong. Ben Gibbard is kind of like a dancing fool up there on stage. Not that he looks foolish just that he basically is dancing around with his guitar through most of the show. The show was super up beat, even songs that I would classify as slower sounded more upbeat and happy live. Don't know exactly how they managed that.

I was so impressed by Ben Gibbard who played the piano, guitar, and drums during the 1 hour 40 minute set. They did a nice job of integrating new and old songs. There were only two songs played that I didn't know. Must have been off of their earliest discs. I heard every song I wanted to hear except Tiny Vessels.

Anyway, the show was great. If you get a chance to see this Fall tour, I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As you may have picked up from my blog, I love OK Go and love, love, LOVE their CD. It's fantastic. I wish I could see them in concert, but I don't think they're coming to the Indy area, siiiigh. Would like to see DCfC, too, of course.