Friday, March 30, 2007

The Office (UK edition)


Over the last few weeks I watched the BBC show The Office. This show is widely known as the basis for the US version of the The Office, which I have yet to watch. I wanted to see the Brit version first because it came first and because I do love the British sense of humor.

Anyway, The Office, stars Ricky Gervais, Martin Freeman (who was great in Love Actually), Mackenzie Crook, and Lucy Davis (one of three good things about Studio 60) as David, Tim, Gareth, and Dawn. They all work for a paper company in Slough, England and for some reality show they are letting their work lives be recorded. Their jobs are about as exciting as you think it would be to work for a paper company. Where the comedy comes in is in the characters of these people. David Brent is quite possibly the best and worst boss ever. He makes horrible jokes and wants to be your friend but I am not sure he expects his employees to actually work. Gareth is the annoying guy who you want to kill in your office. He's the guy who thinks he is so cool and suave but in reality is kind of a wanker and a jerk. Then there is Tim. Tim is, in a word, adorable. He's the guy at work who you sit with and make fun of all the other people you work with. Tim finds his partner in crime in Dawn.

There are other minor characters who move in and out of the show like Keith the accountant; Finchy, David's friend; Jennifer, David's boss, and in season two all the folks from Swindon.

This show is the kind of funny that is uncomfortable. It makes you cringe and laugh all at the same time. It's only fourteen episodes long, total. So, they make their point and go out on a high note. I know I was left wanting more. So, check it out.

1 comment:

Beth said...

mJaleh!!! I had no idea that you hadn't see The Office, UK or USA, yet!!!! They are both fantastic. The NBC version's first few eps follows the UK pretty closely, but unlike our import of Coupling (the Brit version of which is actually pretty damn funny), the NBC cast pulls it off with aplomb. From there, it has really become its own show. It is a different sort of painful, but it's still amazing and funny. But, of course, the Brit version came first and will always remain untouchable.

PS-I LURVE Martin Freeman. I watched Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for him. I have watched The Robinson's and various other so-so British comedies on BBC America for him. I heart him. Sigh.

Speaking of, do you have BBC America??? Girl, you best get it asap. I can't begin to tell you all the fantastic stuff you're missing. Did you like Shaun of the Dead? Then you will adore Simon Pegg's show Spaced. (And man, I can't wait for his new movie Hot Fuzz. Yippeee! I might even love him more than Martin Freeman, if that is humanly possible.

Okay...I am going to stop now...only 45 minutes of work left, must accomplish something...sorry for all the tangents!