Tuesday, March 27, 2007

So long, farewell


Sunday night was filled with all sorts of sadness and "oh hell, no" attitudes in my living room. First the sadness, Rome is over. I thought the ending was as tragic and grand as the whole series has been. In the end, as we all know, Antony and Cleopatra die. Although, in this version they do not die together. Antony's death scene with Vorenus holding the sword was brilliantly acted by James Purefoy. I was barely holding back tears. I really hope Purefoy gets an Emmy nod for this season; he was spot on since episode one.

Also, I loved seeing Atia get her spine back. Was she heartbroken over Antony? For sure, I mean, who wouldn't be? But then starting a feud with Livia seems such an Atia thing to do that you know she will not be tasting iron and ashes for the rest of her days. I also loved that Octavia got herself a little backbone too. She's always been a bit flighty but I can see her becoming powerful in her own way. Now, if only she didn't have to look after the children of Antony and Cleopatra.

Speaking of which, I loved that Vorenus stole Caesarion away. Since we all know that he's really Pullo's kid anyway and not the son of Caesar. Anyway, it was nice to see Vorenus rejoin his family and, quite possibly, receive their forgiveness. But I am not sure I believe that Vorenus actually died. I think that might be a little story Pullo told to save his friend from have to explain himself to Octavian.

And finally, Octavian. He turned out to be quite a piece of work. Who would have thought he would be so heartless and cruel and at the same time allow me to feel sympathy for him? Anyway, as we all know, he soon becomes Augustus and then the whole Jesus thing happens.

One last word about Rome, I just frakkin' love that four out of the seven people in that picture above are dead. I mean, who says history is boring?

As for the "oh hell no" portion of the evening, that belongs to Battlestar Galactica. I won't say any more for those of you who haven't seen season three (Angie). But B-Mart is talking about it over on her blog so feel free to comment over there.

2 comments:

Roll The Dice said...

*sob* It's over! I think the series was just brilliant, and I'm sad that there is no more, but I think the ending fit the series, as you said. Great cast, great set, great television. Now what are we going to watch? :-(

Mike Tyworth said...

The ending of Rome is teh suck. I mean do we really need another season of mediocre The Sopranos instead? Blech. But I think they left enough loose ends to keep their options open if they want to fire it up again.

It's amazing how great a character Pulo is...the psychopath with a heart of gold. Lori and I were cracking up when Vorenus and Antony got smashed and were constantly saying "fuck it." And Vorenus finally became the character I always wanted him to be: not a raging lunatic but a man of honor and purpose.



-Mike