Friday, March 09, 2007

Buffy Top Five


A REALLY long time ago, Beth told us all about her Buffy top five favorite episodes. I admit that when she wrote that I was still in the midst of watching Buffy for the first time around and only glanced at her list marginally so I wouldn't be spoiled. However, I am having a girly weekend with my pal Dragaonchance very soon and part of that weekend is going to include watching our top five favorite episodes of Buffy together. So, I've been trying to put together my top five list. I think I may have it narrowed down. Like Beth, I am putting them in season order and not the order of actual preference because I am not sure that exists.

Season Three: Graduation Day Part II

I believe I have mentioned my love of this episode before. The sentiments haven't changed for me. I really love everything about this episode. So much happens. It's graduation day, Angel and Buffy have sexy time blood rituals, the senior class banding together to survive, the Mayor gets his comeuppance, Angel leaves Sunnydale. You know that their whole world is going to change but you don't know how it's going to change. Plus, OZ!

Season Four: Hush

Undoubtedly, the creepiest episode of Buffy ever. Yet, there are still plenty of funny moment in this Emmy nominated episode. The Gentlemen (very creepy looking creatures who float through the town) come to town to steal heart and voices, leaving Sunnydale in quiet stupification. Thankfully Buffy and the Scooby Gang are able to defeat the baddies in time.

Season Five: Fool For Love

I love this episode for many reasons. Buffy shows her vulnerable side when she is almost defeated by a vamp. It's so rare that we see a truly hurt Buffy. So, she turns to Spike to find out how he slayed the slayers. "One good day" is all it takes for Spike to get his wish. I normally don't care much for the flashback scenes but I really love the tussle between Spike and Robin Wood's mom on the subway. Plus, Spike looks really hot in this episode.

Season Six: Once More With Feeling

Also known as the musical episode, Once More With Feeling is equal parts funny and honest. Each one of the gang is going through a very emotional time. Will Xander and Anya have a happy marriage? Why is Buffy so odd since she's been risen from the dead? Giles can't stand watching Buffy not live life. Tara won't let Willow alter her mind. And then there's Dawn. My favorite songs from this epsiode are Going Through the Motions, I've Got a Theory, I'll Never Tell, and the awesome Anya/Giles duet reprise of Under Your Spell/Standing. Favorite line of song: It could be witches/Some evil witches/Which is ridiculous/cos witches they were persecuted, wicked good, lovelier, women power and I'll be over here.

Heck, I am listening to the soundtrack even as I type this.

Season Seven: Conversations With Dead People

This is maybe the second most creepy episode of Buffy. The big bad, The First Evil, torments Buffy and the Scooby Gang by coming to them as dead people they know and cared about. Joyce coming to Dawn is at turns sad and scary. Tara not coming to Willow is even sadder. Plus, Spike is bad again (or is he?) and Jonathan/Doyle dies. Favorite quote: "See, this is what I hate about you vampires!" exclaims Buffy, "Sex and death and love and pain. It's all the same damn thing to you." It just says so much about Buffy and her relationships with Angel, Spike, and to some extent Riley.

So, that's it folks. I know some of you might have some things to say about this list. Beth, I hope you are glad that we aren't so far apart in our Buffy episode love.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Well, of course, I still think the other 3 epis on my list are better, but those are some awesome eps, too!!! :) That's the beauty of Buffy. There's just so much goodness.

Anonymous said...

Jaleh. I have to say that my list of Buffy favorites is a lot like yours. However, unlike all of my friends who watch the show, I would not put Once More With Feeling on my top 5. I think it would maybe be 6 or 7. What would I replace it with? Season Two: Passion. You’ve got a sexy leather pants wearing Angelus narrating, stalking the Scooby Gang, and pulling out all the evil stops to kill of Jenny then set her dead body for Giles. It is just brutal. At the end, we find out just how much Buffy does need Giles, how he has become a sincerely important person in her life.
Now, I also disagree with you on Hush as the scariest episode. I actually think Killed by Death is scarier than Hush because of the creepy ass demon paralyzing then killing little kids as they lay helpless and screaming. Still, the episode wasn’t the greatest and the slaying of the demon was anticlimactic. Dragonchance.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I didn't proofread that. Sorry. dchance.