Tuesday, December 20, 2005

I know I said I wasn't going to be all political and shit

So, lately I have been biting my tongue. I have been wanting to go off about things in Iran for a while now but I haven't because I want this blog to be about things that make me happy, like books, television, music, and movies. But I just can't bite my tongue any more. This is my blog and I will talk about whatever I want to talk about. You can't stop me. This morning on my way to work I heard about this:

Western Music Is Banned

TEHRAN, Dec. 19 (AP) - President Ahmadinejad has banned Western music from Iran's radio and television stations, reviving a cultural decree from the early days of the 1979 revolution.

Songs like George Michael's "Careless Whisper," Eric Clapton's "Rush" and the Eagles' "Hotel California" have regularly accompanied Iranian broadcasts, as do tunes by the saxophonist Kenny G.

But the official daily Iran reported Monday that Mr. Ahmadinejad, as the leader of the Supreme Cultural Revolutionary Council, ordered the enforcement of a ruling by the council in October to ban Western music.

Music was outlawed as un-Islamic by Ayatollah Khomeini soon after the revolution. But as the fervor of the revolution started to fade, light classical music was allowed on radio and television. Some public concerts reappeared in the late 1980's.


Now, I was willing to give President Ahmadinejad a chance. The Iranian people elected him because of economic promises he made. I understand that. But this is just too much. When you compound the above snippet with all of the anti-Israel rhetoric this guy is spouting, I just don't see how he thinks acting in this way will help Iran. I mean, who wants to invest in a country run by a loon controlled by Khameini? Not me, my friends.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks this is just ploy to get the Iranians riled up for the next revolution that must happen...the revolution that overthrows the Islamic Republic. Ahmadinejad is stylizing himself after Khomeini. While Khomeini is somewhat idolized in Iran, his policies were shit and most of them, especially the major ones regarding women, ended up being overturned.

Anyway, I don't really know what the point of this rant is except to say that Iranian people deserve better than to be represented by this douche bag.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you haven't figured it out already:

He's really a CIA plant, cooked up by the W administration so they have their next fix to satisfy their Middle East war jones. ;)

-Mike