Monday, February 19, 2007

The Damn Millionaires


B-Mart sent me the very awesome cd, Be Sure Your Sins Will Find You Out by The Damn Millionaires, for my birthday. Thanks, B-Mart.

I admit freely that I was mainly interested in this cd because of it's close ties to two of my favorite TWoP recappers. The lead singer of The Damn Millionaires is the super fab Al Lowe and she recaps all things Gilmore. The lead guitarist, Vince, is married to AB Chao who recapped all things Everwood and therefore is in my heart forever. I figured that with these two ladies somehow involved that I would never be steered wrong. Shockingly, I was right.

Be Sure Your Sins Will Find You Out is a lovely "alt-country"/bluegrass/folk cd. I really hate the term "alt-country" but this cd is not what I would classically calls country, bluegrass, or folk but it's not rock either. It's a beautiful mesh of all these things. Al's voice is great. The songs themselves are pretty and the cd is over before you know it. Which is good and bad. You know, because sometimes less is more and sometimes I think, I could use another song or two.

Really, the best compliment I can give The Damn Millionaires is that they remind me of Alison Krauss and Union Station. In case y'all don't know, I love me some Alison Krauss.

I really like the songs Magic City, My Reasons, House on Fire, Brand New Year, and even with it's obvious religious overtones, the a capella I Have Decided to Follow Jesus. So, that's like half the cd.

This is definitely a cd I would take with me on a road trip.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Yay! I'm so glad it's actually good. I will look forward to receiving a burned copy when next I see you... :)