Thursday, February 08, 2007

Lost: Am I Over It?

Last night was the "premiere" of Lost and I have to say I am kind of meh about it. I didn't watch last night but I did tivo it. I am not sure I am on the Lost train anymore. I feel like they are going to pull an Alias and never really answer the big questions. I don't know whether I care all that much about the characters, the story, the mythos, the islands, etc. So, I am going to watch these two episodes and then decide whether or not to keep on watching. Since their hiatus I have been using Wednesdays to watch netflix stuff and it's worked out really well. Did any of you tune in last night? If so, what did you think?

Instead of watching Lost last night, I watched some of Cambridge Spies (something I netflixed) starring the wonderful Toby Stephens and some other people who are quite good. Cambridge Spies is a BBC mini series about four Brits in the 1930's who are recruited to become Russian spies. The production quality is great and the story is quite engaging. I haven't finished all of disc one but I plan on doing that tonight. The story is based on true events that happened in England. It's interesting to me that these young men believe the only way to fight Fascism is to become a Communist. But I have to say that the naked Toby Stephens scenes more than makes up for the flaws I find in the thoughts of these Cambridge gents. It's interesting to see the lengths to which these four men will go to fight for their cause. They give up the loves of their lives, pretend to be straight, pretend to be the antithesis of who they are in order to fight for the cause. I wonder how many of us have a cause we would give up everything for?

In other awesome news, I got one of the best birthday presents ever (I think that my washer and dryer is the only gift that tops this but now that I think about it that was actually a graduation present). Maire bought me an ipod shuffle. How fab is that? It's so frakkin' cute and green. I loves it. It even has my name on it. Whee. Plus, now my Rio Forge, which I still love, looks huge next to the shuffle. I will be your maid of honor every time you get married. Hee. Just kidding, Corey.

2 comments:

Beth said...

It's very cute! It's like my green mini iPod's little baby!

As for Lost, I am assuming you've heard that they want to determine a definite end point for the series so that they can drive towards that end point with more focus. I am all for it. Some fans are whining, but the producers have pointed out that it doesn't mean the show will end this year or next; just that there will be a definite ending, and therefore definite story arcs, and that things can be revealed in a more affective fashion.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the Shuffle.

FYI, There's a really great novel by recent Booker Prize winner John Banville on the Cambridge Spies called The Untouchable.