Sunday, March 30, 2008

Another book (with a plea to Diana Gabaldon)

I love Diana Gabaldon. Since that fateful day in 1999 when Angie handed me the first three books in the Outlander Series I have been a devoted fan. I've devoured every word. I've reread the books; I've patiently waited for the latest installment in the ongoing saga of Jamie and Claire. I can empathize with Diana that she must get tired of the constant research and the dealing with the same characters for over 15 years. But seriously, stop with the Lord John books and give me Jamie and Claire.

That said, I actually liked Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade much more than the first Lord John book. I will be the first to admit that Lord John is not my favorite of secondary characters. I don't why but he's just one of the characters I could always take or leave in the great Outlander universe. But I was surprised at how much I ended up liking this book all about Lord John.

So, the story revolves around several things...the first being the mystery of who murdered Lord John's father many years ago. Secondly, Lord John has a love affair with the interesting Percy, and finally a whole lot of dealing with the Seven Years War. Throw in a conversation or two with Jamie during his time at Helwater and you have a novel.

I would suggest this book to anyone who likes the Outlander series. It's a fine offshoot. But I would much prefer having book seven in the Outlander series instead of a third Lord John book.


Books Read in 2008:


Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade
by Diana Gabaldon
The Attack by Yasmina Khadra
North and South
by Elizabeth Gaskell
She Went All the Way by Meg Cabot
Dramarama by E. Lockhart
Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
Princess Mia by Meg Cabot
Pants on Fire by Meg Cabot
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
Fly on the Wall by E. Lockhart
Stowaway by Karen Hesse
The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart.
Spike: Asylum by Brian Lynch and Franco Urru

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, you're an Outlander fan too?! Those books are the bomb-diggity.

I actually haven't read the most recent one yet because I feel like I should re-read them all again to remember who's who.