Monday, March 17, 2008

More books I have read lately

So, I know this might come as a big shock to you all but I've read some more books. I know; it came as a surprise to me too.

Rebel Angels by Libba Bray is the follow up to her book A Great and Terrible Beauty. Picking up almost exactly where the last book left off, Rebel Angels follows Gemma, Ann, and Felicity on their Christmas holiday. This time around Gemma is tasked to find the elusive Temple in the realms. She is unsure about who to trust. Kartik isn't really reliable to her, Pippa is acting oddly, and her new teacher is frightening. Is the new teacher Circe? Then Gemma stumbles upon a girl driven mad by Circe. Is she the key to finding the Temple or is she just another trick by Circe? On top of all that Gemma gains her first real suitor!

I did like this book very much and I was really fooled about the person who was Circe for the longest time. Although once I figured it out it did make sense. Anyway, this book has made me anxious to read A Sweet Far Thing so I can find out how the trilogy ends.

Dramarama by E. Lockhart is the story of Sadye (pronounced Sadie) and Demi. Sadye and Demi are from small town Ohio and are basically outcasts in their little ville until they become fast friends. Sadye has a love of all things Broadway and Demi does too. They head to summer theater camp together thinking they will rule the place. And, well, Demi does. But that's what happens when you are a gorgeous, talented, black, gay boy at theater camp. Heh. As camp progresses Sadye and Demi grow further and further apart. Sadye's jealousy and combative temperament get her into trouble just one too many times. And when Demi makes a life altering decision things go truly awry.

I thought this book was very fun to read but often times I wanted to smack Sadye for being so obtuse. I mean, the way she speaks to her teachers is just atrocious. At any rate, I think this was a good read.

Finally, I read She Went all the Way by Meg Cabot. Have y'all noticed how much I love me some Meg Cabot? Anyway, She Went All the Way is actually an adult novel by Meg. I know! This book tells the story of screenwriter Lou (short for Louise. Hey, think Meg knew Lou Malcomb? It's totally possible since she is an IU Alum) who has to go to Alaska to finish up some last minute things on her latest film. The bad part is she gets stuck in a small plane with the leading man, actor Jack. Jack and Lou don't like each other and haven't for years but then the pilot tries to kill Jack as part of a hit. This forces Lou and Jack to go on the run in the Alaskan wilderness. In the meantime, can they get past their hatred to survive, find out who wants Jack dead and possibly fall in love?

Yes, this book was total cheese. And I loved every second of it. If you love Meg Cabot then I consider this a must read.

Books Read in 2008:

She Went All the Way by Meg Cabot
Dramarama by E. Lockhart
Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
Princess Mia by Meg Cabot
Pants on Fire by Meg Cabot
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
Fly on the Wall by E. Lockhart
Stowaway by Karen Hesse
The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart.
Spike: Asylum by Brian Lynch and Franco Urru

3 comments:

Beth said...

I have totally read Dramarama! Have I ever posted about it? I don't recall. Oh well. I felt about the same, parts of it I loved but other parts made me hate all of the characters.

Also She Went All the Way is totally on my Meg Cabot reading list. Wooot, Meg!

Jalehlabad said...

Well, Beth, maybe if you created some labels for your posts it would be easier for me to try to find things to link to. HEEE! I don't think you talked about Dramarama on your blog though. Or at least I couldn't find any posts about it using the search function.

Beth said...

yeah, i just use the search function. i feel like it's way too late for me to start using the tags or labels and i rarely use them on other people's sites. also, i am too lazy for that small extra step. sigh. sorry to disappoint jal! but you're right, i don't think i posted about it anyway.