Thursday, March 20, 2008

Take one down, pass it around...

98 more books on the shelves. Well, I read a couple more books and I thought you might just be dying to hear about them.

So I have maybe mentioned just how much I loved the BBC miniseries North and South a few times. Bur what you may not know is that I've never read the book North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. I have to say that the movie is remarkably similar to the book and I was rather impressed by that. To refresh you memories, in case you didn't click on any of the links I provided you, North and South is like Pride and Prejudice meets Communist Manifesto. Margaret Hale's family moves North and encounters the likes of John Thorton, mill owner and hunk. Heh. The book shows how these two people learn not only about the similarities and differences in the other but also about the lives of the common workers.

This novel is all about rebellion. From striking workers, to sea mutinies, to lying to the police, to turning your back on the church. Even though I knew what was going to happen I was riveted to the page and could hardly put the book down. I think Margaret and John are giving Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester a run for their money in my favorite couple battle royale.

The other book I finished this week was Yasmina Khadra's, The Attack. This book is the story of Dr. Amin Jafaari who is a respected surgeon and Arab-Israeli citizen. Amin's world is turned upside down when he comes home one night to find that his beloved wife of 10 years has become a suicide bomber and is responsible for the deaths of 17 people. The book follows Amin's desire to reconcile the wife he thought he knew with the woman she was and chose not to share with him.

I thought this book did a wonderful job of making you understand and yet still be repulsed by the idea of someone choosing to become a suicide bomber. I also thought that for about 95% of the book Khadra did a good job of maintaining a balanced story without showing obvious prejudices but that falls away the last couple of chapters. I don't think that detracts from the story at all but it might be off putting to some. Anyway, this was a really compelling read and it makes me want to check out Khadra's other book The Swallows of Kabul.


Books Read in 2008:
The Attack by Yasmina Khadra
North and South
by Elizabeth Gaskell
She Went All the Way by Meg Cabot
Dramarama by E. Lockhart
Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
Princess Mia by Meg Cabot
Pants on Fire by Meg Cabot
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
Fly on the Wall by E. Lockhart
Stowaway by Karen Hesse
The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart.
Spike: Asylum by Brian Lynch and Franco Urru

No comments: