Thursday, May 17, 2007

Harry Potter and the reading of books about him

Well, I finished rereading book six, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince the other day. I must say, it was really satisfying to reread the entire Harry Potter series again. I just love those books.

Although, upon this rereading, I think I have decided that books one and two are amongst my least favorite. I think it's because they seem to lack a bit of the darkness and complexity that the later books have. I did realize that HP and the Half-Blood Prince is probably my favorite book in the series. Harry finds happiness in love, you just know that Ron and Hermione are finally going to freaking kiss (hopefully in front of those awful muggles, the Dursley's), but mostly I love this book because of all the Voldemort insight it gives us. Fleshing him out as a person, learning how he ticks is critical. Of course, there is also the ultimate sadness in this book but well, these things tend to happen for a reason.

At any rate, I am even more excited to see what Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is all about. What will happen to Malfoy? And Snape? And will Harry get all the horcruxes? And who will DIE? Isn't it July 21 yet?

As a short aside, I am also intrigued to see how the movie version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix turns out. There is so much that they will have to cut out. Anyway, unlike some people, I am very interested to see how Imelda Stanton handles the role of Dolores Umbridge.

Books Read in 2007:
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ~J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone ~ J.K. Rowling
The Good Men: A Novel of Heresy ~ Charmaine Craig
An Abundance of Katherines ~ John Green
The Count of Monte Cristo ~ Alexandre Dumas
Looking For Alaska ~ John Green
Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest ~ Stephen Ambrose
Drinking, Smoking, and Screwing: Great Writers on Good Times ~ edited by Sara Nikles
Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood ~ Ann Brashares

No comments: