Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I, Claudius

When the HBO series Rome ended, I was not ready to stop watching made up history about the Roman Empire. I've been fascinated by Rome since my first day of Latin class in 1990. I found the stories of the gods and goddesses to be funny and interesting and so dramatic. I took mythology courses in both high school and college. I went out and read the works of Ovid and Livy on my own. I was entranced.

When I finally got to go to Rome, well it was everything I thought it would be. Standing in the Colosseum looking at the seats on former Roman senators (their names were still visible after all this time) made me realize how short our time is and how small our little world really is. But it also made me feel connected to those earlier Romans. I hope to go back again someday, especially to the Piazza Navonna for nutella gelato.

Anyway, digression aside, I decided to watch the 1970's BBC miniseries I, Claudius. I, Claudius is based upon the books of Robert Graves. Basically, the story picks up a few years after Rome ends. Octavian is the Emperor and still married to Livia.

I, Claudius is in many ways Rome's ancestor. I, Claudius has the intrigue, political machinations, and sex. I will say this, most of the violence in I, Claudius is implied unlike in Rome. Most of the actors in I, Claudius were unknown to me excepting John Hurt as Caligula and a very young (and not yet bald) Capt. Jean-Luc Picard as a Vorenus type character.

The sets on I, Claudius are really more play like than movie like. Often, that would take me outof the story because I would be thinking about Rome's luscious scenery and how real they made Rome (the city) look. It's clear that the budget for I, Claudius got spent on the wardrobe (which is really nicely done) and the acting. Although, a few of those women were too shrill for me.

Oh right, the plot. Heh. Well, basically we see the trials and tribulations through the lens of Claudius (fourth Emperor of Rome). Claudius is the last person one would assume would become Emperor as he stutters and has Tourette's like ticks and twitches. However, he uses this feeble facade to cultivate his mind and become a keen historian. His "feeble-mindedness" also allows him to be an observer but never a participant in all the really horrible things that happen in the palace. Also, ladies and gents, if you thought Atia and Servilia were some crazy bitches, well, you need to check out Livia in this miniseries. She makes those two look tame.

If you liked Rome or are interested in Roman "history" then you should most definitely check out I, Claudius.

No comments: