Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Forever in Blue

Forever in Blue:The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares

I have been anxiously awaiting the final installment of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series since about three minutes after finishing book three.

Book four picks up the summer after Carmen, Bridget, Tibby, and Lena spent their first year apart at college. Rather than wearing the pants only in the summer the girls wear them year round since they are always apart.

I don't want to ruin all the details for you but I thought Brashares did an effective job of describing how people often lose and find themselves when they enter that freshman year of college. These girls and their bond remains but rather than it just being there, well, they have to work on their friendships to make sure they the sisterhood remains. Sometimes they excel at this but often they falter.

As usual, I tend to feel Carmen's story more than the others. I seem to relate to her the most. And, as usual, I laughed and cried along with the girls. Also, there were definitely some more adult themes (read: sex) in this book than in the others. Looks like my niece won't be getting these from me for a few more years.

This book is a fine ending to a touching series. I only wish we could get one more book about five years in the future so I could see where these girls end up after college.

Books read in 2007:

Forever in Blue:The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares

1 comment:

Beth said...

I have that one on hold from the library...