Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Rome-a-licious

Well, as I previously wrote about, Rome is back. If it's possible, it is better than ever. I spent a good part of the last week rewatching season one to get back into Rome. It's funny how a year will change your perspective. When I first watched season one I really hated Atia. I thought she was quite a loathsome creature. She was a nasty, scheming beyotch. This time around, while I still found her quite loathsome, I was shocked at how much less I liked Servillia. I have little to no sympathy for her. But, I suppose the old adage is truer here than in most cases, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Servillia proved that maxim over and over again. I can't wait to see Servillia get her seriously deserved comeuppance.

So, season two. Mikey T. seems to think there is more swearing this go round. I am not sure I agree or rather, I didn't notice it. I was really impressed by the first episode and when it was over I couldn't quite believe an hour had passed. I wanted more.

So, the run down....

The Awesome:

Vorenus going a little bat shit crazy and Pullo being the one to bring him back to life. Talk about some role reversal.

Vorenus and Pullo slaughtering Erastes Fullman's crew and then Erastes himself. Who deserves a beheading more than Erastes? Well, Servillia but I will settle for Erastes. For now anyway.

Mark Antony's slaying of Pompey's son, Quintis. Good riddance, Lt. Harry Welsh.

Calpurnia's brash face spitting reserved for Servillia. That shit was great.

Octavian assuming his new role as Caesar's heir. I loved how it kind of pissed of Mark Antony. I get the feeling there will be more of that to come.

Mark Antony kicking Brutus, Cassius, Cicero, etc. out of town and then forcing Servillia to stay behind. Nice work, MA.

The Bad:

Pullo and Eirene's engagement. Hands of my man, you slave wench. Hee.

Also, Pullo was fully clothed this whole episode. Seems a little unfair to me.

The Sad:

Niobe's funeral pyre was terribly sad. It was made more so by the fact that her children were not there. Which leads me to...Vorenus damning his children and then Erastes kidnapping the kids and violating them. I was crying during Niobe's funeral.

Caesar's funeral pyre was quite moving too.

Can't wait until next Tuesday to find out what happens next. Why Tuesday you ask? Well, because of BSG's move to Sunday. That's why.

Speaking of BSG, well, I am almost half way through season two. I also tivoed yesterday's season three marathon and I plan to rewatch all those episodes after I finish season two. They will probably make a lot more sense to me.

No comments: