Friday, January 26, 2007

Jane Eyre: Part Deux


A while ago I gave you some of my thoughts on the novel Jane Eyre. I must say that reading the book I never thought that Rochester was all that dashing. Witty? Yes. A good match for Jane? I wasn't sure I bought it. Like I said last time, my best gal pal Angie believed this was due to my modern ways and thoughts. I could and do agree with that to some extent. Last night though, I changed my mind.

For those of you who don't know, PBS has a new Masterpiece Theater entitled Jane Eyre. Okay, first of all Rochester is played by the brilliant Toby Stephens who I loved in Twelfth Night. Secondly, they do all the spooky stuff really well. If you've read Jane then you will know that it's a bit of a ghost story and a love story. Masterpiece Theater does a good job of making things a bit eerie without going overboard. Thirdly, I don't know if it's Toby Stephens or what but Jane was right about that Mr. Rochester. He's dreamy. Fourth, they made Adele as annoying as I thought she might be. Finally, I just love the casting of Jane Eyre. Ruth Wilson isn't a beauty or at least not one of those women who you look at and say wow, she's hot but she's cute and she does Jane proud. In a way it reminds me of Ugly Betty. She's not a girl who is "traditionally" beautiful but in reality she is. The last finally part, the beyotchy Blanche Ingram is played by the evil girl from What a Girl Wants. Shut up. I can't help it that I am a sucker for all things Colin Firth (especially movies where he puts on leather pants and dances around). Anyway, I think I might be a closet Anglofile, much to the dismay of my darling Squatter. He's very anti-Anglofile.

So, Part One was last week and Jane has just left to go see the dreadful Mrs. Reed. I can't wait to see the ending. Yes, I know that I know how it ends. I don't care. I am anxiously awaiting what is to come. If you love all things BBC, like I do, then you won't be disappointed. Check out part two or wait for the dvd. I know it's going on my Amazon list. I think I need to reread Jane Eyre.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Anglophiles rule--and I know, because I am one.

I read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights in HS as part of a project on the Bronte sisters. Between the two of them, there are so many ghosties and so much tramautic love that one must wonder what was going on in the Bronte home. You know, other than being the daughters of a reverend and being surrounded by illness and death. BUT, good stories. I would love to see that version of Jane Eyre. If I don't catch it on PBS, hopefully our library will order it...

Anonymous said...

Thank You!!

I've been wondering when the men thought of JE and finally I found out!!

LauraC