Monday, January 22, 2007

Walkout

This weekend I didn't do a whole lot. There are a couple of reasons for that but mostly it's because I just didn't feel much like going out.

I did get to see my family on Saturday. One of my nieces turned three and so I went to a little party for her. Watching a three year old unwrap presents is pretty entertaining. Then, I had an impromptu slumber party with my oldest sister who didn't want to drive home in the snow only to turn around and drive back to the city for work on Sunday morning. That was fun.

I also watched an interesting HBO docudrama called Walkout on Saturday. Walkout is the true story of the Chicano student movement of 1968. The movie focuses on the core group of student demonstrators but especially on a girl named Paula. With the guidance of a Chicano teacher, the students build support in the, then, five high schools in East L.A. to get equal education for the students. The movement gained momentum and eventually support when the walkouts continued to happen. It was a pretty inspirational film and just goes to show that collective action can make real changes or at least it used to. The following school year the number of Chicano students enrolled at UCLA increased from 40 to 1,200.

I did get to watch Rome last night. It was pretty bitchin'. I am sad to see that Max Pirkis will not be back for the rest of the season but I suppose Octavian needed to age at some point. Also, Cleopatra totally checked out Pullo and I think realized that he's the real father of her child and not Caesar. Again, can't wait for next week.

I am waiting before watching any new episodes of Battlestar Galactica until I get all caught up on the story. I have the last two dvds of season 2.5 to finish and then I am rewatching season 3 and completely being caught up. It's been hard to not click on the TWoP recaplet this morning.

Otherwise, my life is Arabic homework and studying for the World Series of Pop Culture auditions.

No comments: