Friday, September 07, 2007

A to Z cds: Day 48

223. Our Little Corner of the World ~ Music from the Gilmore Girls (last listen: 0-3 months): What is not to love about this cd? It has multiple versions of Strummy Strummy La Las (I know B-Mart feels me on this one). It has Bjork; it has, well, music from GG. Sometimes though, especially recently, this cd is almost painful to listen to since it reminds of all the good GG and then I am reminded of how far that show fell. But I will admit that this cd will be in my rotation for many moons to come.

Favorite songs: All Strummy Strummy La Las, I Found Love, Car Song, Clear Spot, Tell Her What She Wants to Know

224. G. Love and Special Sauce ~ G. Love and Special Sauce (last listen: 3-6 months): Love this cd. I've loved it since I first heard it back in 1994. My mother always said G. Love sounded like Mushmouth on Fat Albert and Squater has his G. Love issues because of some certain backstage antics between G. and Squater's then girlfriend. I told him that you can't hold girls responsible for having the sex with musicians after a show. I would have done the same thing. You can imagine the death glare that went along with that conversation. Anyway, this cd has been a great companion through undergrad, grad school, and real life. G. Love rules.

Favorite songs: Cold Beverage, Baby's Got Sauce, The Things That I Used To Do, Fat Man

225. St. Elsewhere ~ Gnarls Barkley (last listen: 0-3 months): I'll admit when I bought this cd I really thought I was going to love it off the bat. And then I listened to it and I really didn't love it. I liked it. I thought it was good but I didn't get pulled in by it. Then I just kept making myself listen to this disc. The more I listened the more I began to appreciate how deep this cd really is. Cee-Lo does an awesome job of digging deep inside himself for some pretty introspective lyrics that compliment Danger Mouse's beats.

Favorite songs: Gone Daddy Gone (what a fabulous cover), Feng Shui, Transformer, Storm Coming, Necromancer

226. Demon Days ~ Gorillaz (last listen: 3-6 months): I have to admit that I find it very cool and yet somewhat arrogant that I have no idea what the members of the band the Gorillaz look like. This cd is very good and was purchased mostly because I love the song Feel Good Inc. and that made me wonder what the rest of the disc was like. It has a bit of a Danger Mouse vibe to it and that is explained away by the fact that he produced and mixed this disc.

Favorite songs: Feel Good Inc., Dirty Harry, El Manana, All Alone, White Light, Dare

2 comments:

StL Fan said...

NATIONAL BOYCOTT AGAINST G.LOVE AND SPECIAL SAUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He fucked my ex-girlfriend. Yeah she was a bitch and super hot, but still...he fucked my ex-girlfriend.

Fucking douche-bag.

Beth said...

Some good CDs today!

Agreed about the strummy strummy la las. They always make a person happy.

I will say that I actually was quite taken with Gnarls Barkley from the start. Such a good CD.

And Demon Days is one of my favorites, too. If it helps at all, the singer of Gorillaz is Damon Albarn from Blur. He is frakking awesome (I have always loved Blur, too) and looks like this.