Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A to Z cds: Day 51

235. Songs in the Key of Indifference ~ Squater (real name withheld since he appears frequently here) (last listen: 1-3 years): Squater asked me to not include this cd in my listing but I told him that I had to keep the integrity of the listing. I don't know why he's so embarrassed about this disc. I think it's a very solid disc of folk songs. Maybe he doesn't like it because of the time of his life that this music represents. I remember that things were a bit tumultuous when he recorded this and his wretched ex accused him of some of these songs being about her but then she was a self-centered bitch who thought everything was about her (yes, I will tell you how I really feel, especially since I banned that person's ip address range from my old blog). He should have written a song about how I am such an awesome best friend who always listens to his fart jokes and his made up words. (ETA: I also have to listen to him wax poetic about strippers and hookers on way too many occasions.) But for me I listen to this disc when I am missing my best pal, guess I haven't missed you much in the past year, dollface. Plus, I love the song "I Never Conceded." Alas, only he can tell us why he doesn't like this disc anymore.

236. The Ultimate Darryl Hall and John Oates ~ Hall and Oates (last listen: 1-3 years) This double disc is little flashback into the life of young Jalehlabad. I recall that my childhood best pal (and still current pal) Andi and I made up an awesome dance routine to Maneater that we wanted to perform on Puttin' on the Hits. Remember that show? Anyway, anyone who doesn't love some Hall and Oates is really missing out. Plus, Oates has the second most awesome mustache of the 80's, coming in second only to Tom Selleck.

237. Welcome to the Cruel World ~ Ben Harper (last listen: 1-3 years): This isn't the first Ben Harper cd I bought but it's the earliest cd of his that I own. This early disc isn't his best but you can definately see his future trajectory and the artist he will become. That's not to say that this cd doesn't have some gems, because it totally does. I've always liked the song "Whipping Boy."

2 comments:

StL Fan said...

Not so much the time in my life it represents; more so the lack of lyrical creativity. I'm just not cut out to be a lyricist. I fucking hate poetry and artsy fartsy garbage anyhow; should have never strayed from the ol' Metallica and GnR days of yore. I'm gettin' back there though - holla.

And yes, you are very good to listen to my frequent discussions of strippers (I do love them so), and hookers. I have a whole new respect for them. They are actually very nice people; I hung out with them alot at the bar during my extended work trip to Vegas - and no, not in THAT capacity. And no, I didn't give them any money for video poker, either. They're at least honest, which is more than most of us can say and mean. And they have very outgoing personalities. Hmmm...I think I'd like to date a hooker; or a former hooker at any rate. Add that to my check list along with the remaining 10 former Soviet Republics who have yet to produce a girl which has ended up in my bed.

And there I go again ;) You are very good to me indeed, dear friend.

StL Fan said...

And I fear that I have again been chastized for not penning a song about how awsome my friend is. Well, as I have given up all musical aspirations/illusions, I will dedicate the following GnR lyrics to you, darlin'.

from "Get In The Ring"

- "And this goes out to all the Guns and fucking Roses fans who have stuck with us through all the shit."

Exrapolate; the integrity of the lyrics holds in this case.