Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A to Z cds: Day 50

231. Grease Soundtrack ~ Various Artists (last listen: 5+ years): Just because I haven't listened to this soundtrack in over five years doesn't mean I don't know all the words to the songs still. I have seen this movie more times than I can recall. My mom took me to see Grease in the theater and she said even though I was a toddler I was transfixed. The movie is pretty amazing and actually quite dirty, which I did not realize until my teenage years. And as much as I love this soundtrack, what I really am jonesing for is the Grease 2 Soundtrack. Anyway, the only thing that really annoys me about this cd is that the songs are not in order of how they fall in the movie. It makes no sense to have "You're The One That I Want" before "Sandy."

232. Dookie ~ Green Day (last listen: 1-3 years): Oh early, Green Day. I think if you were alive and anywhere near the ages of 11-30 you had to own this cd. If you didn't well, then you were kind of an idiot. This cd holds up pretty well and I still love Basketcase.

233. American Idiot ~ Green Day (last listen: 3-6 months): I think this disc is amazing. It really pushed Green Day into a whole new place musically but also kept them true to their punk roots. I really love the song American Idiot because it so perfectly reflects many of my thoughts and feelings.

234. Lost and Gone Forever ~ Guster (last listen: 1-3 years): Remember when MTV played videos instead of shows? I do. But people have been bitching about this for years now so MTV created M2. And I was happy because I could still get my music fix.

1999 was kind of a pivotal year for me. I was very unhappy; living at home with very few friends in the area; a college graduate but not working in the field where I had a degree because I really hated that field; working at Target and, in general, stagnating. But my parents had satellite so when they were at work and I was at home I would watch a lot of M2 because daytime television, except Passions which is so damn funny, is pretty bad or it was in 1999 (I mean, how many times can you watch Judge Judy?). One day, it was summertime, I heard this song come on M2 and I couldn't get it out of my head. That song was Fa Fa by Guster. I tried to get the song out of my head and I couldn't. I would find myself singing it and relating to it: "When you look in the mirror/Wish you were somebody else/Just a perfect reflection/You and no one else/Minutes run into hours/Hours run into days/You're still waiting for someone who never ever came." Man, Guster, sing it; preach it! I bought that cd about three days later. I love this whole cd. It really touches something inside of me and it makes me feel alive and okay that sometimes life knocks me around. Because in the end, I quit Target and went to grad school and then went to another grad school and somehow ended up a librarian. So, thanks, Guster. You really helped out a lost girl. I really need to invest in their other discs.

No comments: