Monday, October 30, 2006

There are no words

Friday night I got to see the St. Louis Cardinals become the World Series champions. I was there. 30 rows from the field. I have been trying to explain to people what it was like to be a part of this experience. But really there are no words. The stadium was buzzing. I could feel it the minute I got off the Metrolink. There was an excitement, an electricity in the air. Everyone was just so happy to be there; hoping, knowing that the Cards would make this our year.

As I walked into the stadium with my Moms, we were discussing the last time the Cards won the Series in 1982. I can tell you that there aren't a lot of things I remember about 1982 and the Cards winning the Series is one of them. One of the things I do remember is being jealous of my friend Andi for having a Han Solo doll that was the perfect size to play Barbies and I desperately wanted her to let me play with Han Solo just once so my Barbie could kiss Han. Anyway....

Friday night was intense. There was a small part of me that really thought we might not win when we went down 2-1 but then my boys came out and played. I have to give some major props to Dave Eckstein. That little dude earned every cent of his salary this year. He really did a fantastic job. Yadier Molina was pretty damn fabulous too. I can see him becoming one of the best catchers in baseball if he keeps it up.

After the game, all the fans poured out into the streets around the stadium. It was sort of like controlled chaos. People were so happy. I have never given out so many high fives in my life. My hand actually stung for a while. And my voice was a bit hoarse from all the yelling.

Of course, there was a copious amount of drinking that took place. Although, it did take us a while to find a bar that still had beer. We walked to two places that were sold out and this was all the more ironic since we could essentially see Anheuser Busch brewing facilities. However, we did eventually find beer and many happy drunks. I didn't see a fight or scuffle or any meanness going on. I didn't even see any mocking of the Detroit fans in the crowd.

It's an experience I will never forget. I can't wait to be that little old lady talking about how I was at the 2006 World Series where we inaugurated our new stadium with a glorious, underdog win.

GO CARDS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Jal!