Monday, October 02, 2006

The one where I rant about car alarms

Ever since I've been old enough to drive and, thus, owned my own car I've hated car alarms. Most people don't own cars that are so expensive that they need an alarm. And, if they do then they generally have a driver, negating the need for an alarm. If you live in a city and have a car alarm that you set or have a neighbor who has a car alarm that they set, then you know how easy it is for the punk kid on your block to fuck with you and set off said alarm.

Also, most of the time when people set their car alarms; they aren't fucking there to hear the god damn thing go off. So, what the fuck good does it do you? None. Because if someone is going to steal your car then they are going to steal your damn car. That is why you have car insurance, the quiet, silent car alarm.

Some of you may be wondering why I am on a tear about car alarms. Well, let me tell you why. Saturday morning, very early, around 4 am a car alarm went off. It probably went off several times before I actually work up because I am a pretty sound sleeper. Well, from 4am-9am, that fucking alarm went off almost non-stop. I refused to get out of bed mostly out of spite. I would not let that alarm beat me. I would not give up my sleeping in day to that car alarm. I was also thankful I didn't have a kid who couldn't sleep because of that damn alarm.

As the day progressed there was no more disturbance from the alarm. That is until about 9pm. Yes, I realize that this means I was home on a Saturday night at 9pm. Hey, shut up. I was out until 2am on Friday. As I was looking at my phone trying to figure out who to call, not 911 since this isn't an emergency, but the police for sure. I look out my balcony to see one of my neighbors beat me to it. So, the alarm went off until about midnight and then the car was gone. I don't know if it was towed or what. I don't care. All I know is if I see that car near my home again, I am spitting on it. If you don't believe me, ask Bill. He's seen me spit on a car.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's true. She's a spitter.

GMYH said...

Agreed. Car alarms generally do more harm than good.

I was at the grocery store last week and there was a girl who looked to be in her 20s sitting in the parking lot in a car with the alarm going off, and she wasn't doing a damn thing about it. It was annoying to see someone who was obviously aware of the very loud noise blaring from her car, yet she just sat there and talked on her cell phone. Maybe she was deaf, but I'm guessing deaf people aren't allowed to drive.