Wednesday, April 11, 2007

History is cool; believe it

Recently I got rid of HBO. It's my way of protesting the loss of Rome forever. However, with the loss of HBO I have been trying to fill the tivo with other things to watch. I have found that the History Channel in its various forms have been filling the void. Most notably the show Digging for the Truth rules. Hosted by hottie Josh Bernstein, viewers are taken on journeys to Egypt, Israel, Brazil, Ethiopia, and so on to find out the truth that can me found from archaeological digs. I just watched an episode yesterday on something called the Copper Scroll which talks about a treasure buried somewhere (scholars argue about the exact place; possibly in Israel or Egypt). It was pretty cool although they never really answered the question of where is the treasure. No one actually knows. This show makes me think I should have become an archaeologist and not a librarian because it just looks like it would be so fun to find treasure. Last week, Bernstein found out about the real Goliath. Did he exist? Was he really a giant? Could a stone to the forehead really have killed him? (Answers: maybe, nothing supports this, yes) Anyway, I have always been a real geek for this kind of stuff and it's nice to see the History Channel showing something that doesn't have to do with World War II (no offense Band of Brothers, you know I love you).

I also finished a book last night. The Good Men: A Novel of Heresy by Charmaine Craig was an interesting tale loosely based on true events that took place in 14th Century France. So, the plot, a priest in a small French village encounters heretics (whose teachings he generally agrees with) and battles his own inner turmoil over his lust for women. Through the years he beds many of the village women except Fabrisse, his niece, although she doesn't know this and falls madly in love with him. Then the Inquisition comes. It's never good when the Inquisition comes.

This was an enjoyable read although I had a hard time feeling empathy for the priest. I had an even harder time feeling empathy for the ring leader of the Inquisition. This was a book filled with a lot of sadness but I am glad I read it because the tale was intriguing. It's even based upon the testimony of Fabrisse's daughter who actually lived. So, check it out.

Books Read in 2007:
The Good Men: A Novel of Heresy ~ Charmaine Craig
An Abundance of Katherines ~ John Green
The Count of Monte Cristo ~ Alexandre Dumas
Looking For Alaska ~ John Green
Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest ~ Stephen Ambrose
Drinking, Smoking, and Screwing: Great Writers on Good Times ~ edited by Sara Nikles
Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood ~ Ann Brashares

No comments: