Thursday, April 19, 2007

Tori has new music too!

So, here's the video for Tori's new release. I have to say that I was pretty skeptical since her last two albums have left me less than impressed and more than a bit sad at the thought that one of my musical goddesses (also including Bjork, Alison Krauss, PJ Harvey, Jill Scott and others) had fallen from grace. Squater seems to think that Scarlett's Walk was a good cd. However, there are two reasons why this train of thought can be disregarded: 1) he's a dude and I'm sorry but Tori doesn't make music for dudes, gnerally speaking; and 2) it was a bad album made of bad music with none of the Tori spark, wit, anger, and angst. Also, not dealing directly with Scarlet's Walk, but The Power of Orange Knickers is no Me and a Gun. Hell, it wasn't even a Hello, Mr. Zebra.

This new song pretty much rocks. So, I am hoping that the rest of her new cd will also rock. I guess we will all find out on May 1 when the American Doll Posse cd is released.

9 comments:

StL Fan said...

Oh my fucking lord. Scarlett's Walk totally kicks ass and is probably one of the best cd's she's come out with in 10 years. It's melodic and dark - granted, not angry, but when did music have to be angry to be considered good (Norah Jones, anyone?).

Anyway, stop your incessant raggin on Scarlett's Walk, or I'll beat you with a car antena ;p

C.

Jalehlabad said...

Says the boy who hasn't had a thirteen year listening relationship with Tori or used her cd to represent himself as the one piece of material culture your person. That's right folks, in grad school we had to pick a piece of material culture we would want left behind in case of our demise. I picked Tori's album Little Earthquakes.

Jalehlabad said...

And also, no way is Scarlett's Walk better than From the Choirgirl Hotel. It's just not.

StL Fan said...

So instead of debate the substance of Scarlett's Walk, you'll instead question my credentials as a Tori fan. Well, well, well, ma belle, seems as though you've learned a few lessons from Rupert Murdoch et al.

It's a dark, sensual, yet strangely optimistic album with incredible harmonic structure and melodies which are hella catchy.

I'm not saying it's the be all and end all of Tori --- just that it in no way sucks. It's quite an exquisite album.

So, up your nose with a rubber hose ;)

StL Fan said...

And you're right....my listening relationship with Tori only goes back 11 years ;)

Beth said...

I actually like The Beekeeper...it's, ahem, the only Tori CD I own. I like anger and rage, but sometimes she's too much for me. But, I haven't heard all her cds--if you want to school me by sending them to me, I'm down with that.

Jalehlabad said...

Beth, no worries. You have other girly music street cred like your love of Aimee Mann, etc. Although, you are missing out on the best of Tori. Looks like I will need to send you a big ol' package of goodies.

I should clarify that Tori angry isn't like Tool angry. You know, she just pushes it to that next harsher level and it's brilliant. I mean, I think the lyric in Precious Things sums it up very well. Here's the second verse of that song:

He said you're really an ugly girl
But I like the way you play
And I died
But I thanked him
Can you believe that
Sick holding on to his picture
Dressing up every day
I wanna smash the faces of those beautiful boys
Those christian boys
So you can made me cum
That doesn't make you Jesus

I mean, it's angry and smart and it makes you a little sad. But it's beautiful.

Beth said...

Awww! I love Fiona Apple for her awesome, honest, often angry-at-boys (but not always) lyrics...I'm sure I will like old Tori. Fiona always makes me feel better b/c she always seems to know just what that stupid boy did or said to me, and can express it better than I ever could. I'm guessing that's a little bit how you feel about Tori.

Jalehlabad said...

See, you just nailed it on the head, B-Mart.