Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Books, books, all kinds of books!

So, I have been a little lax about blogging these days. Rather than accepting responsibility for that I will blame my busy, busy life. I mean, class, work, being a maid of honor in the last wedding I will be in barring my own. You know, if that ever happens. But now I will tell you about some things I have been meaning to post about but haven't had the time blog about.

Let's see, over a month or so ago I read a couple of books. The first book was The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. After B-Mart turned me on to this author I decided to go ahead and look into her other works. The Goose Girl is about Ani, a princess. Ani can speak to birds and this is a talent that she must keep secret. While Ani grows up believing that she will be Queen over her people, upon her father's death everything changes and Ani is sent to marry a neighboring country's prince. In the meantime, Ani's only "friend" betrays her and sends Ani on a journey of survival and discovery.

I also read another Meg Cabot gem. This time I tackled Queen of Babble. Like most of Meg's novels, this one involves a girl who is trying to figure out just who she is. Lizzie Nichols is in trouble. See, she didn't technically graduate from college yet, although all her family and friends think she did. Also, she's about ready to embark on a European adventure with her Brit boyfriend who she hasn't seen in many months. But suddenly things get out of control when her boyfriend turns out to be a nightmare rather than a knight. So, what's a girl to do but hop on a train and meet her friends who are working at a mansion in France. And, that my friends is when the fun begins. Man, I do love me some Meg Cabot and can't wait until the follow-up Queen of Babble in the Big City.

Finally, on my way to and from my maid of honor duties, I listened to the James Marsters reading of Jim Butcher's Fool Moon (Book 2 in the Dresden Series. Before I even talk about the book I need to address the burning James Marsters issue here. For those of you non-Buffy fanatics, James portrayed the one and only Spike aka William the Bloody. He was British, hot, and vampirific (you know a vampire and terrific). But in real life James is just a guy from Cali and I was intrigued and a little afraid of listening to this book. Would I be hoping for him to break into that Brit accent or would his natural tongue suffice? I have to say that at first I was a little eh but then about halfway into disc one I was won over. Also, his regular voice is pretty hot. You Buffy fanatics should give it a listen.

Oh yeah, the book. Fool Moon is the story of wizard Harry Dresden and his attempts to aide Lt. Karen Murphy in figuring out the strange cases handled by the Special Investigations Department of the Chicago PD. Fool Moon is, not shockingly, about werewolves. But what is interesting is that this book says there are a variety of kind of werewolves. Anyway, this was a good mystery that I didn't figure out until almost the end. But then, I have always been bad about that.

Books Read in 2007:

Fool Moon ~ Jim Butcher
Queen of Babble ~ Meg Cabot
The Goose Girl ~ Shannon Hale
The Princess Academy ~ Shannon Hale
Avalon High ~ Meg Cabot
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ J.K. Rowling
A Thousand Splendid Suns ~ Khaled Hosseini
The Bermudez Triangle ~ Maureen Johnson
Fray ~ Joss Whedon
The Dragonriders of Pern ~ Anne McCaffery
Embroideries ~ Marjane Satrapi
13 Little Blue Envelopes ~ Maureen Johnson
The Cider House Rules ~ John Irving
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ~J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone ~ J.K. Rowling
The Good Men: A Novel of Heresy ~ Charmaine Craig
An Abundance of Katherines ~ John Green
The Count of Monte Cristo ~ Alexandre Dumas
Looking For Alaska ~ John Green
Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest ~ Stephen Ambrose
Drinking, Smoking, and Screwing: Great Writers on Good Times ~ edited by Sara Nikles
Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood ~ Ann Brashares

1 comment:

Beth said...

Jaleh!

Yay.

First of all, Queen of Babble in the Big City is already out--I am reading it right now! It's good.

Also, if you enjoyed The Goose Girl, prepare to be excited because there are two more books that take place in that world with those characters! Enna Burning is all about Isi/Ani's friend Enna, and River Secrets is about one of their friend Razo.