Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A to Z cds: Day 58

270. Come Away With Me ~ Norah Jones (last listen: 3-5 years): I haven't listened to this cd in a while, as you can see. But her voice is still really beautiful. The songs aren't so remarkable in and of themselves; it's her voice that makes this cd so special.

271. Pearl ~ Janis Joplin (last listen: 1-3 years)

272. Greatest Hits ~ Janis Joplin (last listen: 1-3 years): There's a lot of duplication between this disc and Pearl but the differences are stunning. For example, this disc has possibly the greatest Janis song "Piece of My Heart" on it. Man, the feeling in that song is so palpable. It's great. I also really like Bye, Baby.

273. Walking Distance ~ Robert Earl Keen (last listen: 3-5 years): This cd is something I acquired after listening to Gravitational Forces. In some ways it's a much better cd since the songs tell some great stories and these are all REK originals instead of a few covers. I really like the song "Feelin' Good Again."

274. Gravitational Forces ~ Robert Earl Keen (last listen: 3-5 years): I came to REK through Squater. I really love this guy's voice and his style. Plus, he (REK not Sqauter) is good pals with Lyle Lovett. I'd have to say that the only song I really don't like on this disc is the title track. But REK's cover of "I Still Miss Someone" is one to not miss. I also love the kick off of "My Home Ain't in the Hall of Fame."

No comments: