Friday, October 12, 2007

A to Z cds: Day 54

I bet you all thought I forgot about the great relistening project of 2007 (and very possibly continuing into 2008). Alas, I did not but I have kept forgetting my discs at home. Finally, I remembered them today but then left my lunch at home.

249. First Rays of A New Rising Sun ~ Jimi Hendrix (last listen: ?, possibly never. I honestly can't recall)

250. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill ~ Lauryn Hill (last listen: 3-5 years): Hey, remember when Lauryn Hill wasn't crazy and she didn't make remarks about how she was against white people buying her music? Yeah, me too. This first solo effort is pretty amazing actually. It hits all the right notes in my book. There are great beats and a good variety of fun, upbeat songs and slow, thoughtful pieces. I still think "Everything is Everything" is pretty great.

251. MTV Unplugged No. 2.0 ~ Lauryn Hill (last listen: never): Honestly, I thought I had listened to this but then after I actually listened to this double live album I realized that I never had listened to it. Man, Lauren just goes on and on and on to the point where I am like just sing the frakkin song already. Clearly, these songs were not totally done but some of them were very good. It's a shame she has done lost her mind.

252. Best of John Lee Hooker, 1965-1974 ~ John Lee Hooker (last listen: 3-5 years): This cd is goodness. Like it could be anything else. But what I think I love most is that this disc kicks off with "One Bourbon, one Scotch, and One Beer" which is also the way that the best mix cd ever created and then lost by DiRRty and myself kicked off. Of course, it was overlayed with the most hilarious phone message left on my voice mail by Squater. It was, in a word, perfection. I am just sad that DiRRty's computer crashed and lost of all our hard work.

253. Love Songs ~ Billie Holiday (last listen: 5+ years): Seriously, is this an awesome day of music or what? It's a pretty great day when you start with Jimi Hendrix and end on Billie Holiday. This woman can really sing it. Man, she reaches into my soul with her voice.

254. Billie Holiday ~ Ken Burns Jazz Collection (last listen: 5+ years): She has this fabulous cover of Gloomy Sunday and it made me think of how similar and different it is from Bjork's cover of the same song.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What Jaleh needs is something small where she can put, like, gigs of music.