Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Booky goodness

This past weekend I finished two books, although neither book is the book listed on this blog as the book I am currently reading. I have to thank B-Mart for both of these finds as she's the one who turned me on to Meg Cabot and Shannon Hale.

Avalon High tells the story of Ellie. Ellie has just moved to Annapolis, MD with her Medieval Studies professor parents who are on sabbatical. But something's not quite right about Avalon High. Like how can you explain how all the main characters share the same names or really close variations as those in Arthurian legends? Maybe it's because they are Arthur and his close friends and enemies reincarnated! I know! The book was really well done and very cute. Plus, I just love Meg Cabot. She's awesome. There is a follow up to this book in graphic novel form and I think I will be interlibrary loaning it soon.

I also read The Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. The Princess Academy tells the story of Miri. Miri and the other girls of Mount Eskel are told that priests have seen that the new Princess of Danland (where Mount Eskel is) will come from Mount Eskel. As Mt. Eskel is basically the boonies, the royals send a teacher to instruct all girls between ages 14-17 the ways of being a princess. Miri is at first an outcast and later a leader and savior of not only the girls of the Princess Academy but also the entirety of Mount Eskel. But Miri has bigger issues like does she really want to be the Princess or does she want to be with her true love Peder? When B-Mart mentioned Hale as her favorite Young Adult author I thought I should check her out. B-Mart is right; Hale is very good. I will be getting my hands on her other books. I will also be giving this book to my niece for Christmas.


I am sorry to report that because I was helping my sister and brother-in-law move into their new house I was unable to see the previously mentioned stripper at my parents house. I am sure you are as disappointed as I am.

Books Read in 2007:
The Princess Academy ~ Shannon Hale
Avalon High ~ Meg Cabot
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ J.K. Rowling
A Thousand Splendid Suns ~ Khaled Hosseini
The Bermudez Triangle ~ Maureen Johnson
Fray ~ Joss Whedon
The Dragonriders of Pern ~ Anne McCaffery
Embroideries ~ Marjane Satrapi
13 Little Blue Envelopes ~ Maureen Johnson
The Cider House Rules ~ John Irving
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ~J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone ~ J.K. Rowling
The Good Men: A Novel of Heresy ~ Charmaine Craig
An Abundance of Katherines ~ John Green
The Count of Monte Cristo ~ Alexandre Dumas
Looking For Alaska ~ John Green
Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest ~ Stephen Ambrose
Drinking, Smoking, and Screwing: Great Writers on Good Times ~ edited by Sara Nikles
Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood ~ Ann Brashares

1 comment:

Beth said...

Yaaay for an update, although I'm sad you didn't get to see the stripper. At your parents' house. (Gah!)

Yay also for Meg Cabot and Shannon Hale love. If you liked Princess Academy, you will also love The Goose Girl (and that one has several sequels that I only just figured out existed and will hopefully be reading soon).