Wednesday, August 01, 2007

A to Z cds: Day 33

151. Turn off the Radio: Mixtapes Vol. 1 ~ Dead Prez (last listen: 3-5 years): I guess I had forgotten that this "mixtape" was almost a full length disc. There are a few gems on here and two songs that end up on RBG. It's not bad but I don't think it's their strongest work either.

152. RBG: Revolutionary but Gangsta ~ Dead Prez (last listen: 0-3 months): When I first heard this second full album by DP, I have to say, I wasn't all that impressed. It had such a different vibe from Let's Get Free. However, in the ensuing years I have come to love this album as much if not a bit more than their first album. Another record where I have a hard time picking one song I like more than others. But if I have to choose I am going with Radio Frequency, W-4, Hell Yeah (speaking of which, when I visited NYC, we passed Nostrand Ave on the subway. I was all, why do I know that? And then DiRRty rapped for me and I figured it out),Way of Life, and D.O.W.N.

153. Dead Prez Presents M-1: Confidential (last listen: 1-3 years): Again, this cd is solid but it's missing something. I think that the focus is too much on M-1 and I think he needs a little more Stic. Alas, I am not really going to complain too much when there's song called "Land, Bread, and Housing."

154. We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes ~ Death Cab for Cutie (last listen: 0-3 months): First things first, thanks, Bill. Bill introduced me to Death Cab and lots of other groups but I really LOVE me some Death Cab. Favorite songs: 405, Company Calls, Company Calls Epilogue, Scientist Studies.



I have NACO training tomorrow and a vacation day on Friday. So, I will be coming back on Monday with all sorts of gems (like going to your brother's surprise 30th birthday party in which a stripper comes to my parent's house. Yes, my sister-in-law is just that classy.) and more A to Z cds. Have a good weekend!

No comments: