Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A to Z cds: Day 38

175. Taking the Long Way ~ Dixie Chicks (0-3 months): This cd is amazingly good. The song "Not Ready To Make Nice" is great. I have a lot of respect for these ladies especially considering most country music stations won't play their music anymore. It makes me sad to think if you don't want to spout a bunch of Toby Keith nonsense then the country music industry will push you aside. I love that they are ashamed that Bush is our President. I'm ashamed too and most Americans should be. On the non-political side, the song Lullaby is just beautiful. Plus, Natalie Maines is married to the ridiculously hot (and half Persian) Adrian Pasdar. Lucky bitch.

176. The Grey Album ~ DJ Danger Mouse (last listen: 6 months - 1 year): This inventive, rockin' mashup of The Beatles White Album and Jay-Z's The Black Album is amazing. Danger Mouse samples music from the Beatles and sets it to Jay Z's lyrics. I have to say that this cd is often in heavy rotation at work and in the car. It's funny because sometimes I will be listening to The Beatles and I will expect Jay Z to come in and rap or I will start rapping the Jay Z lyrics. Conversely, I actually like this disc better than Jay Z's Black Album. I keep thinking that disc is missing something when I hear it because I am waiting for the Beatles samples to kick in. If you don't have this disc and want it drop me an email.

177. Spend the Night ~ The Donnas (last listen: 1-3 years): This disc is full of fun, chic rock. And I mean rock. The Donnas do not mess around with rock music. And I love them for that. Honestly, I need to get a hold of more of their stuff because this disc always puts me in a good mood. It's nice to have a disc of music by girls who are just using boys for their pleasure. I like empowered chicas. These girls are bitchy and I like that. I think they would be fun to hang out with. Favorite songs: Take It Off, Who Invited You, Too Bad About Your Girl, Take Me to the Backseat

178. The Best of The Doors (last listen: 5+ years): I've had this since my senior year of high school when my then boyfriend thought "Light My Fire" should be our song. I was never a big Doors fan but since he loved them so much I said fine. I am not sure I've listened to this double disc since then with the exception of a few listens in college. Although, in retrospect there are quite a few songs on this double disc that I like.

179. The Chronic ~ Dr. Dre (last listen; 3-5 years): You forget how groundbreaking something is when it becomes mainstream. Relistening to this disc reminded me of how different it was to all the other rap out at the time and how much Dre has influenced the way rap is today. This cd, now 15 years old, still sounds fresh. Plus, if it wasn't for Dre we'd never have had Snoop or Eminem. For those finds alone the man is a genius.

180. 2001 ~ Dr. Dre (last listen: 3-5 years): This cd rules. I love "Forgot about Dre" and "Education." Didn't you, bitch?


Tomorrow is the final day of NACO training so I will be back to posting on Thursday. I know you can't wait to see what happens next in the a to z cd roundup.

1 comment:

John Brown said...

Bring on Dylan, Fool!