Friday, June 08, 2007

The Cider House Rules

Last night I finished reading The Cider House Rules by John Irving. Going into this book I very vaguely remembered seeing the movie. I remembered it had Tobey Maguire in it and that orphanages were involved and so was ether. But that's about it.

The book is very John Irving. Meaning if you like the way John Irving is able to tell stories that span decades and show how young people change into adults then you will probably like this book.

This book is the story of Homer Wells, born an orphan and taught to be a doctor (of people and apples). I have a lot of strange feelings about this book. For example, I feel like I am supposed to pity Candy and yet, I don't. I kind of feel like she's a selfish bitch who got to have her cake and eat it too. Also, I felt like the book just sort of ended without really going into how the relationships changed after the big reveal to Wally and Angel. Oh yeah, the book also talks A LOT about abortions. But I won't tell you why. Go read the book and find out for yourself.

Overall though, it was pretty good. It's not my favorite Irving book that I've read so far but it's not my least favorite either. I think it might be time for me to reinvest in a copy of Garp. I haven't read that one in a while.

Books Read in 2007:

The Cider House Rules ~ John Irving
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ~J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone ~ J.K. Rowling
The Good Men: A Novel of Heresy ~ Charmaine Craig
An Abundance of Katherines ~ John Green
The Count of Monte Cristo ~ Alexandre Dumas
Looking For Alaska ~ John Green
Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest ~ Stephen Ambrose
Drinking, Smoking, and Screwing: Great Writers on Good Times ~ edited by Sara Nikles
Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood ~ Ann Brashares

No comments: