Monday, June 18, 2007

A to Z cds: Day 8

34. Gordon ~ Barenaked Ladies (Last listen: 3-6 months): I broke my own rule with this cd. See, I never loan out cds, a lesson I learned as an eighteen year old when I loaned a cd to my senior year best pal and she fucked it up. And then refused to replace it. Needless to say, this should have been my first inkling that the chick was a bitch. Anyway, I recently loaned this cd to my cousin Jim and he has yet to return the cd to me. Trust me, I will get this cd back and enter it into the great relistening project.

35. Born on A Pirate Ship ~ Barenaked Ladies (Last listen: 1-3 years): This cd has some pretty decent songs on it. What's not to like about a song with these lyrics: I know why I like you/It's cause of your haircut/and your clothing/and 'cause you're racist. Hee!

36. Maybe You Should Drive ~ Barenaked Ladies (Last listen: 1-3 years): Probably my least favorite of all the BNL cds I have. Funny since, all the songs they end up singing off this album on Rock Spectacle sound so much better on that cd.

37. Rock Spectacle ~ Barenaked Ladies (Last listen: 0-3 months): Their live album. And, it's pretty awesome. Mostly because these guys are funny and put on a good show.

38. Stunt ~ Barenaked Ladies (last listen: 1-3 years): Honestly, I have to say that this was the cd that was my intro into BNL. If you can get past the whole One Week as the first song, there are some real gems on this cd. Alcohol is a upbeat, happy sounding song about alcoholism or the other song I would sing to myself in grad school when I was so tired, "Who Needs Sleep?" But I think I like the song "Call and Answer" the best.

39. Licensed to Ill ~ Beastie Boys (last listen: 2-5 years): Probably my least favorite music wise of all the Beastie stuff. However, it gets major points for nostalgia and the ability to make me feel like a high schooler again, even though I was technically 10 when this cd came out. BTW, have you ever drank a Brass Monkey? I have and they really are funky monkeys.

40. Paul's Boutique ~ Beastie Boys (last listen: 1-3 years): This is the cd, or if we want to be technical, TAPE, that really got me into the Beastie Boys. I sort of had a love/hate thing with License to Ill because my little brother just played it tooooooooooooo much, well, that and LaBamba (if I never hear that song again I will be just fine). But then he decided not to like the Beastie Boys anymore so I was free to enjoy their music in my own way.

No comments: