Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Freaks and Geeks

Back in late 1999 - early 2000, I was going through some stuff. My life was in some serious transition. I was just starting grad school and I was working full time at Target and I really didn't have a clue. I also stopped watching tv at that time. I even stopped watching Gilmore Girls. I know! It's hard to believe. I was just too busy. Going to grad school and working full time is hard stuff, kiddies.

That's why I missed being able to watch Freaks and Geeks. Although, I made up for that very recently. I think this might seriously be one of the best shows I have ever seen. This show revolves around Lindsay and Sam Weir. Lindsay, a one time mathalete, braniac, good girl becomes a "Freak" after she starts hanging out with a less "smart" non-Jesusy crowd. Sam, her younger brother, is a freshman geek. You know the kind, the a.v. club kid, playing D & D, and LOVES Star Wars and Steve Martin's "The Jerk."

It's hard to say which character I love the most; the entire Weir family is at the top. But I can tell you, that I have the biggest crush on Jason Segal now. I love him as Marshall on How I Met Your Mother, but as Nick Andopolis, he is just the most adorable creature ever. On the geek side, I have to say that Martin Starr is just perfect as Bill.

The show is amazing in the way it portrays the family, school, and friend dynamic filled with all the drama, trauma, funny, silly, and romantic things that makes high school some of the best, oddest, most cringe worthy years of your life.

In a way, I am glad I didn't watch this show when it was on because I would have been seriously devastated at it's cancellation, like Everwood devastated. Plus, it would have possibly meant not getting HIMYM or The 40 Year Old Virgin. Anyway, it ended really nicely, although, I am sure I would have gobbled up a second season, were it to be had.

If you haven't seen this show, I seriously recommend watching every episode. You won't be disappointed.

Now it's time to watch Judd Apatow's other tv show, Undeclared. I can only hope that Apatow will do for college what he did for high school.

2 comments:

Beth said...

OMG. Yes, that show is fantastic. My favorite moment--and the reason why I love Jason Segal so much--is when he sings "Lady" or whatever that song is called. Heee!!! So adorable.

Jalehlabad said...

Well, there's Lady and then there's Lady L (the song he made up). Both are crazy funny. But I think I fell in love when we see him play the drums and then his dad comes down the stairs and we actually hear how bad he is. So funny!