Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Bermudez Triangle

So, I heard about Maureen Johnson via Brotherhood 2.0. Then I heard that Maureen's book The Bermudez Triangle was going to be banned by a school. That pretty much made me want to read the book. I figure most of the best books are banned at some point by some person who doesn't realize that in America we supposedly have freedom of speech and press. I mean, that's why we are in Iraq, isn't it? Isn't it?

Speaking as a librarian, there are very few things that piss me off more than someone wanting to ban a book because it's "inappropriate." What does that mean anyway? Inappropriate for whom exactly? For you, your children? And what gives someone, generally religious people, the right to decide what is appropriate? Is it appropriate for Bibles to be in the libraries of public schools? We do have such a thing as separation of church and state in this country, supposedly. But do you see me going around trying to ban the Bible everywhere? No, because it's stupid. People will read what they want to read. And if you don't want your kids reading certain books that is your right. Just don't tell me what I can and can't read.

So, like I said, I read The Bermudez Triangle. The story revolves around Nina, Avery, and Mel. They are three best pals spending their first summer apart (the summer before senior year of high school). Nina goes off to some student council camp at Standford and meets Steve, a cute eco-warrior, who she starts to date. Back at home, Mel and Avery decide to have some girl on girl action. When Nina comes home she senses that she is the odd man out and comes to find out, in a really horrible way, that her two best friends are dating. But then Avery starts to realize that she still likes boys while Mel really only likes the ladies. As their senior year unfolds, all three girls experience heartbreaks and healing in friendship and romantic relationships.

I really liked the way this book laid out how the two girls thought about their sexuality. It was honest and realistic for the most part although, I imagine in real life there would have been much more whispering and hardships involved.

For a variety of reasons I am going to pass this book on to my niece. But mostly so that she might learn a little tolerance because I am sure she is not learning that from her parents who are two of the least tolerant people I know when it comes to race and sex.

Books Read in 2007:

The Bermudez Triangle ~ Maureen Johnson
Fray ~ Joss Whedon
The Dragonriders of Pern ~ Anne McCaffery
Embroideries ~ Marjane Satrapi
13 Little Blue Envelopes ~ Maureen Johnson
The Cider House Rules ~ John Irving
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ~J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone ~ J.K. Rowling
The Good Men: A Novel of Heresy ~ Charmaine Craig
An Abundance of Katherines ~ John Green
The Count of Monte Cristo ~ Alexandre Dumas
Looking For Alaska ~ John Green
Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest ~ Stephen Ambrose
Drinking, Smoking, and Screwing: Great Writers on Good Times ~ edited by Sara Nikles
Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood ~ Ann Brashares

2 comments:

Beth said...

As you probably know, I too have VERY strong feelings on censorship and free speech, especially when it comes to libraries, although also in the general world. But, I also have strong feelings about people running their own lives in general. Those same people who want to ban books are usually also the ones who want to pass lots of laws that tell people who they can or can't marry, etc.

Parents, if you want to control what your kids are reading, that's fine. But don't try to control whether everyone else has access to it.

So in summary: Word, Jaleh.

Sometimes I like to go over to AsIf! and get riled up about book bannings. Try it, it's fun!

Jalehlabad said...

B,

I do love it over on AsIf! It makes me happy when people, other than librarians, get upset about book banning. It's a little bit of validation.