Thursday, July 05, 2007

A to Z cds: Day 18

Since there is no shame associated with the great relistening project of 2007, I decided I would allow you all to see the not shame that was once my love of Garth Brooks. My junior and senior year of high school I loved Garth and I continued to like him, albeit in a more secret fashion as to avoid being mocked, through undergrad. For my eighteenth birthday my parents bought me tickets to see Garth in concert in Evansville, IN. It was the one and only time I've worn cowboy boots. To this day, it's one of the best concerts I've been to. Garth really can put on a show. Anyway, my love for Gsrth has cooled in the ensuing years but sometimes I listen to "I've Got Friends in Low Places" and think back to how retarded I was in high school. Good times.

Side note: How did Garth breathe and produce offspring wearing jeans that tight?

80. No Fences ~ Garth Brooks (last listen: 5+ years): Some songs on this cd are real stinkers but I still love Two of a Kind, Working on a Full House, The Thunder Rolls, and Friends in Low Places.

81. Double Live ~ Garth Brooks (last listen: 5+ years): Garth plays Central Park.

82. Garth Brooks (Limited Edition) ~ Garth Brooks* (last listen: 5+ years): Funny story, my friend Jody also loved Garth. It made me feel less ashamed about my own love. When we both graduated from undergrad in 1998 (oh my god, when did I get old?) we got each other a gift since we were some of the very few of our friends to actually get our degrees in four years. Well, Jody and I ended up buying each other the Garth Brooks Limited Edition box set. I recall opening each others present in her dad's kitchen and laughing our asses off. Anyway, favorite songs: Not Counting You, Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old), and The Dance.

83. No Fences (Limited Edition) ~ Garth Brooks (last listen: 5+ years): I have the case but no cd. Odd.

84. Ropin' The Wind (Limited Editon) ~ Garth Brooks* (last listen: 3-5 years): This is my favorite Garth cd. Funny story, my friend Jody was also my high school graduating class's valedictorian. As Jody gave her speech, I kept thinking to myself, this speech has a familiar ring to it. Why? And then it hit me....Jody basically ripped off Garth's song "The River." When I confronted her on it later in the summer, she sheepishly copped to it hoping that no one would figure it out. I may not have been valedictorian but I am not stupid either. Also, I can kick Jody's butt at Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit. Hee. Favorite songs: Actually, I love all the songs on this cd. The exception may be the added song "Which One of Them." I kind of especially love his remake of Shameless.

85. The Chase (Limited Edition) ~ Garth Brooks (last listen: 5+ years): Even I admit that this is not one of Garth's finer music moments. I think he should have taken a little time off, regrouped and then came out with....

86. In Pieces (Limited Edition) ~ Garth Brooks (last listen: 3-5 years): Favorite songs: Standing Outside the Fire (wherein, Gsrth comes onto the stage via a trapdoor and then through flames, yo), Ain't Going Down (Til the Sun Comes Up), Callin' Baton Rouge

87. Fresh Horses (Limited Edition) ~ Garth Brooks (last listen: 5t years): Favorite songs: To Make You Feel My Love, She's Every Woman




*I am pretty sure I owned these two on tape since I had them before I owned this box set.

2 comments:

StL Fan said...

Well, I guess I'm going to have to start the ball rolling here. But Garth fucking Brooks?????? And a lot of him. Way to go Jaleh!!! Good one!

Jalehlabad said...

What does that even mean? You make no sense.