Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A to Z cds: Day 22

98. The Essential Johnny Cash 1955-1983 ~ Johnny Cash (last listen: 1-3 years): This three disc box set has every song by Johnny Cash I'd ever heard and bunch I'd never heard. It's about as complete as you can get if you don't include all those discs he made with Rick Rubin. Speaking of which....

99. American IV: The Man Comes Around ~ Johnny Cash (last listen: 1-3 years): What's not to like about Johnny Cash covering Nine Inch Nails, the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle, and Depeche Mode?

100. Black Cadillac ~ Roseanne Cash (last listen: 0-3 months): This cd is a beautiful memorial to Johnny, June, and Vivian Cash. It's all about remembering being a child, becoming an adult, and learning to live with the loss of a parent.

101. Clandestino ~ Manu Chao (last listen: 3-5 years): I got into Manu Chao after I listened rather intently to his former band Mano Negro. I forgot how much I liked this cd. There are no song breaks; all the songs bleed into one another. Manu Chao is an awesome mix of Latin Salsa and French Pop. Most of the time I have no idea what the songs mean but they sound awesome. However, from what I've read about Mano Negra and Manu Chao, these songs are pretty political and it's my kind of politics.

No comments: