Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Well, I had the book Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as of about 12:30 a.m. Saturday. Luckily, I had gone to Borders very early that morning to get line tickets for my pal Tricia and I. It was a very long day so I only read for a few hours that that before turning in. Tricia and I spent most of Saturday reading the book while Squater watched on. I am sure he was bored. We took a Buffy break and went to dinner. Then I read more that night and ultimately finished the book Sunday afternoon.

I am going to talk about the book without revealing too much because I know that some of my readers haven't gotten the book yet. If you want the deets, and things I generally agree with then go see B-Mart's blog.

I have to say that overall, I was exceptionally pleased with this final installation of the Harry Potter series. I was a late-comer to the world of Harry Potter. The fifth book was already out when I started reading these tales. Yet I found myself in love with the series. I approached this book with the requisite amount of excitement and sadness. I admit while I longed for this last tale; I was also scared of this because I didn't want the stories to end. I didn't want to know because knowing would mean that there would never be another Harry Potter book. And, for all that I love Harry; I also love this richly created world of Wizards and Muggles, Diagon Alley, the Burrow, and most especially Hogwarts. Harry, while obviously integral, doesn't have to be a part of my daydreams of what it would be like to go to a school like Hogwarts. Trust me, I've had many a dream of going to a school like Hogwarts since reading these books.

J.K. didn't let me down. Do some characters that I've grown to love die? Yes, they do. Do some characters who I wish had died lived? Yes, they do.

I'll admit that this book for large portions felt so odd to me because it by and large doesn't take place at Hogwarts. I kept wishing to know what was happening back at the school. When we finally learn what was happening I was filled with happiness and dread knowing what all those kids had been through.

I will say that this book is a reward in many ways for those readers who have paid close attention to the little things. There are great payoffs and some real revelations. If there is one message that this book conveys it's that life isn't always fair and right. People you love die. Death is something that cannot be stopped no matter if you are wizard or muggle.

I know a lot of folks aren't happy with the ending of this book and the series but personally, I think that it ended as it was supposed to. Ultimately, it's not up to the fans because realistically you can't please millions of people. The series ended the way J.K. Rowling wanted it to end and that's just fine with me.

I cried at the end of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows because I knew it was the end of an era. I look forward to seeing how they make books six and seven into films. I'm sure I will even be there on opening day. But the end of these books makes me sad. I think I will always want more stories about Harry, Ron, and Hermione and their tragic and wonderful world.

I am starting a reread of book seven this week as I am sure I missed some details as I always do.

Feel free to comment. If you are going to go into detail, I ask that you make sure you let others know that spoilers are in your comments.

Books Read in 2007:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ J.K. Rowling
A Thousand Splendid Suns ~ Khaled Hosseini
The Bermudez Triangle ~ Maureen Johnson
Fray ~ Joss Whedon
The Dragonriders of Pern ~ Anne McCaffery
Embroideries ~ Marjane Satrapi
13 Little Blue Envelopes ~ Maureen Johnson
The Cider House Rules ~ John Irving
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ~J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ~ J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone ~ J.K. Rowling
The Good Men: A Novel of Heresy ~ Charmaine Craig
An Abundance of Katherines ~ John Green
The Count of Monte Cristo ~ Alexandre Dumas
Looking For Alaska ~ John Green
Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest ~ Stephen Ambrose
Drinking, Smoking, and Screwing: Great Writers on Good Times ~ edited by Sara Nikles
Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood ~ Ann Brashares

1 comment:

Beth said...

Yaaaaaaaaay!!! I agree, it was SO good, even though I am saaaad that it's over.